Saturday, September 30, 2006

This morning I want to share someone else's words. I will do my best to myself remain objective on this blog, but I will from time to time write about what others are saying, or in this case, said, like a haunting vision of another time. As I said yesterday, I am staying in a Catholic High School. During the floods in New Orleans following the breaking of the levees, this building was used, like many others as a refuge from the rising waters. I am staying on the third floor, and the following was written on the blackboard:
September 2, 2005 at 9:13 a.m.
We are sorry for the school, but the shelter was a blessing. We had to bring over 200 people here with no help from any coast guard boats, people died and are still in there house, we had to leave them. We asked the C.G. [Coast Guard] for help and got NONE. Thanks to micky, mckinley, eric, phil, tyrone, karl b., cory, + g-roy-ray ray, al, lance, + Anthony. we saved the whole project.
THEY LEFT US HERE TO DIE
God Sons Spirit Gates

R.I.P. to the ones we lost.
St. Mary's during the flood:



Also today, one note of thanks; my dear friend Kristin has offered us the money to set up a phone number for the Common Ground Collective Tech Line.

If anyone else would like to help with specific projects, please let me know. I will not bother you with requests, but there is a lot to be done here, and unfortunately there is not much time left for fundraising.

Peace,
geoffrey/pax