Thursday, October 12, 2006

I have a new desk space in the media lab now that I am doing more website work than anything else. This office is right next to the free legal clinic. A big board out on the street reads "free legal advice" with an arrow toward this house. Another sign reads "bankruptcy workshop Wednesday 12-3." Sitting next to the legal clinic I hear the stories of people that have arrived for advice. I found myself almost in tears this morning listening to a 69 year old woman share her struggle to get back into her home. I am doing my best to not make this blog become political because I know my readership is diverse, but it is hard when I hear these stories of how the government has let these people down. The Road Home program seems to be a total joke and maybe just a PR campaign as there is story after story of people going through the effort of applying, but then never getting any assistance. Meanwhile insurance companies are paying off mortgages which assists the bank, but then the homeowner is left with a house that they may own but is uninhabitable. And then there is case after case of landlords evicting tenants, or raising rent through the roof so that people can't afford to return home.

I have a lot of respect for the legal team here, mostly legal assistants who have taken time out of their career to come and volunteer. They have sevral pro-bono lawyers working with them. Apart from advising, they will take cases to court with the help of those lawyers. One of them is Bill Quigly who also helps defendants at the annual School of the Americas Watch vigil.