Monday, October 09, 2006

Went to mass at St. Mary's of the Angels yesterday,
Father Bart Pax
this is the church that is hosting all of us at the school across the street. I really enjoy the mass there as the songs are song gospel style so it really adds a lively tone to an otherwise formal service. Father Bart seems to be very well loved by his congregation, and after hearing his homily about how we must all love each other by seeing the best in each other I can see why. I spoke with him last week outside the church, and heard about all that he has gone through to rebuild. He still is facing a "serious issue" with the ventilation system in the church which is why they have to turn up the sound system to be heard over the big fans that have been brought in. There is a great article about Father Bart and his church online.


St. Mary of the Angels during the flood.

All visitors are introduced at the opening of the service and there were three of us there who shared that we were from Common Ground Collective. In the point in the service where we greet one another, I sensed a very interesting mix. Some where very warm, and thanked me for being here, while others acted awkward, and though I don't like to form an opinion without knowing for sure, seemed wary of us.

After mass I walked to the House of Excellence and did a lot of pondering about this. I have been told by others that there is mistrust of white people showing up for various reasons. Some are fearful that jobs related to cleanup are being taken by outsiders, and though CGC is only helping those who otherwise could not afford to rebuild, we may be seen as a part of that. There also may be discomfort because white people in the neighborhoods in which we are working was met with suspicion before Katrina, and then there is the reality that we are working in a city that has been dealing with some of the most fierce racism any where in our country. You should take time to read more about this by downloading the anti-racism packet from the CGC website.

So how can we move past this but still be sensitive to people that still have feelings of bitterness?

I hope some of you will respond to this post, especially after you have read some of that packet. This is not an easy topic, but living here it seems to be an important thing to work on. What are some things that I can do to help with the healing? I know that what I am doing is the right thing, but I still feel like maybe there is something that I am missing.