Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Took a bike ride through the French Quarter, Bourbon Street and Faubourg Marigny. I didn't realize this was all just a few blocks away from where I am staying. New Orleans really is a beautiful city despite all the rebuilding of neighborhoods that still needs to be done. The areas where there is money have recovered quite well. There are still the occasional gutted buildings waiting for revival, but a lot has already returned to pre-Katrina normalcy.

Bikeriding is a great way to get around in this city. The traffic is light in the neighborhood streets, and Bourbon street is mostly foot traffic. We were there early in the evening, but Ted was telling me in a few hours the area will be packed with people all night long.

I am finding a city where I could really enjoy living for a while. I used to wonder why people would want to live where they are below sea level and so vulnerable to a hurricane. Now I think that this is really a city worth protecting.

The work is keeping me busy, and I have been putting together websites that would normally take me a week or two in a couple days. The two sites I have worked on are for Rebuild Green, and New Orleans Home For the Holidays.

Though there is a lot going on right now, with house gutting, legal help, food distribution, and computer labs; the future of Common Ground Collective seems to be a bit uncertain. So Ted and I are talking about what a non-profit web design and computer technology center could look like. We will need to find funding, so if there are any readers looking to support a good cause, let me know.